Candelariá Church is one of the respected churches in Rio de Janeiro. The church is built and decorated from 1775 to late 19th century. The interior of the church is designed in a Neo-Renaissance style with a little mix of Baroque Façade. This church is dedicated to Virgin of Candelariá. The legend says that there is a ship sank called “Candelariá” near Rio de Janeiro and there is Spanish people aboard that ship and they decided to build a church there.
In the night of July 23, 1993 there is a massacre happened between kids and police. According to survivors the day before the massacre the kids are throwing stones to the police car and the police gave them a threat saying that they will get them. In midnight the police came to the Candelariá church and started to hear gunshots, the police shoots 8 local children and several of them who take covers are wounded. Now every July 23 there is an event to honor the death of the 8 children.
The 8 children who died are:
· Paulo Roberto de Oliveira, 11 years old
· Anderson de Oliveira Pereira, 13 years old
· Marcelo Cândido de Jesus, 14 years old
· Valdevino Miguel de Almeida, 14 years old
· "Gambazinho", 17 years old
· Leandro Santos da Conceição, 17 years old
· Paulo José da Silva, 18 years old
· Marcos Antônio Alves da Silva, 20 years old